Friday, October 21, 2005

3/6 ... failed

Score 3/6: 2 wins, 2 draws, 2 losses. Not a good result.

Round 1: Easy win over unrated junior. They really should be put in a seperate sub tournament! I had black, so for my remaining 5 real games, I should get 3 whites which is good...

Round 2: White vs #1 seed. He plays french defence, an opening I dont really have a good answer for. I play a gambit, and after a long struggle, we end up in an end game, and I am 1 pawn down. I made my first real mistake of the game and lost another pawn, and resigned.

Round 3: Fairly easy win over a lowly rated junior - my opponents rating was only 800. My hopes of getting a good performance rating dont look good now. Game was harder to win than it should have been, due to still being tired from the previous round.

Round 4: White against another unrated opponent in rd 4. This time its some guy who has just moved here from England, and he is quite good I think. A long hard game where I again had to go into an ending 1 pawn down. This time I was able to get the pawn back, and the game was drawn.

Round 5: An exact repeat of round 5 of my previous tourney: same opponent, same colours, same round! This is the opponent who cracked under pressure in rd 5 in my last tourney. This time we ended up in a kind of mutual stalemate in the middle game where neither could make any progress. Game drawn.

Round 6: White vs lower rated adult player. I need to win this game! In the opening I miscalculate a Bxf7+ sac and simply go a piece down for nothing (not even a pawn). I resign.

Because my only 2 wins were against lowly rated juniors, this tourney will cost me quite a few rating points, and of course my goal of getting a better perfomance rating was not met...

2 Comments:

Blogger Temposchlucker said...

What's going to happen. Are you so much disappointed that you give up tactics training or does this result motivate you to step up your efforts?

2:22 AM  
Blogger Smith-Morra said...

Well, I took a couple of weeks break, but its time to get back into the tactics study ... I've had several good tournament results this last few months, so one bad result isnt the end of the world.

I'm starting to gather training materials grouped by themes for my next phase of tactics study...

4:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home