Monday, October 03, 2005

Showtime

Amazingly, I have survived this far :) There is just 3 days of tactics training left, and the big tourney starts in 4 days... so will the tactics have helped or not?

- Since starting tactics training, my OTB results have not been very good: 3/6, or +2 =2 -2
- I've made bad tactical mistakes in 4/6 games played, and won 2/6 by tactics
- I'm finding it harder to look at the overall situation of a game, due to focussing so much on small tactical details
- I am finding it easier to calculate tactical things such as sequences of exchanges

Overall, I dont feel so positive about my chances, mainly because I have been playing quite badly lately. In any case, I know that to do well I must concentrate more on not making mistakes than on trying to make brilliant moves ... my strategy has to be to wait for my opponent to make a mistake then attack.

Anyway, it will be showtime very soon, and the results will speak for themselves ...

4 Comments:

Blogger Temposchlucker said...

Good luck at the tournament!

12:37 AM  
Blogger CelticDeath said...

Good luck at the tournament.

Play carefully at the tournament, though. You will be tired from your tactical drilling. Those last two circles are exhausting! Also, you will be a tactical whiz, but don't play for tactical tricks in the tournament. Remember about strategy and playing carefully. Remember that tactics flow from good positions. I didn't do that and my play suffered after I finished the circles. I think you can avoid this if you play carefully!

7:58 AM  
Blogger Smith-Morra said...

Thanks :)

Its going to be interesting for sure.. there are 3 games on saturday, and 2 on sunday - and 3 games in one day is very very hard work. So I have to play well, and conserve energy too!

Last year in the same tourney I had 3.5/4 with 1 round remaining, but I was exhausted and lost my last round game quite quickly.

This year I know that it will be equally tough, maybe worse! My approach for this weekend is to try not to make too many mistakes ;)

2:39 PM  
Blogger Pale Morning Dun - Errant Knight de la Maza said...

Bon chance, godspeed, and all that. Take no prisoners, and show no mercy. Look forward to hearing how it goes.

3:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home